12.01.2013

Evolution of white monster

(note : This article was submitted by Clanmate BigBee after a good work on the list and a nice Top 4 last MPDC, Thanks and good job !)


Hello, in this article I would like to present Standard Pauper White Weenie. I wanted to create a balanced aggro deck but not crazy, mad and risky, based on the lucky boros style deck. Here is the first list:


I am not (yet) in that list, i fly away !!
Creatures:
4 Syndic of Tithes
3 Master of Diversion
4 Cavalry Pegasus
4 Hopeful Eidolon
4 Daring Skyjek
3 Auramancer
3 Court Street Denizen

Spells:
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gods Willing
2 Fortify
4 Pacifism

Lands:
21 Plains

It is a human deck based on tapping creatures using Court Street Denizen and Master of Diversion. Cavalry Pegasus cooperates with Human creature type. But the deck is too slow against mill, creatures are too expensive or, in case of Cavalry Pegasus, too small. Tapping creatures gives nothing against Hexproof ability, that is not so rare in todays metagame. It doesn't work. It must be rebuilt, obviously.

Fortify is redundant with Ethereal Armor and the whole philosophy of this deck. Besides, I don't like it. Let's make main enchantment removal tech. Sundering Growth is a very good card. It can replace Fortify. Extort is not what I want. Master of Diversion and Court Street Denizen are for 3 mana, it is too slow and some times you don't have a creature to play after you played Court Street Denizen. In meanwhile I realized that 12 enchantments are too few, I see no other option than Observant Alseid. Here is the list after some updates:

I' m there but i'll soon fly if the bird agrees
Creatures:
2 Observant Alseid
4 Cavalry Pegasus
4 Hopeful Eidolon
4 Azorius Arrester
4 Daring Skyjek
4 Auramancer
3 Capashen Knight

Spells:
2 Sundering Growth
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gods Willing
4 Pacifism

Lands:
21 Plains

I don't like the Observant Alseid. For now I think that he has too expensive cost and the bestow cost is just a misunderstanding. Cavalry Pegasus remains still in decklist, lets kill opponent with army of white fliers. Capashen Knight does not meet expectations, too expensive casting cost and activated ability is expensive too. Azorius Arresters are too fast for this not so fast aggro deck. His ability, good ability, is wasted. I see no other human creatures. Good bye Cavalry Pegasus. Now I have a lot of place in deck. Maybe I will add 2 Smite? No. 3 is better. Sundering Growth? Nah, Useless card against metagame leader, mill.

Keening Apparition looks nice. I see so many enchantments in decks. Lets add 6! Unfortunately I can add only 4, and I do so. Cavalry Pegasus was the only one flier in deck and I have now many free slots. Sunspire Griffin is nice, 2/3 creature for 3. 3 is a lot, but I can forgive him. At least it is a flying creature. I see no other flier axcept Concordia Pegasus. Good cost but I don't like the 1/3, it looks a little less aggro and I think I will soon remove it from the decklist. Nothing could be more wrong. It is so nice, when cute small Pegasus enchanted with 2 Ethereal Armors smashes the opponents life. It also survives Pharika's Cure. The flood occurence haunted me so many times that I increased the amount of Concordia Pegasus from 3 to 4. One more thing before posting the final decklist. Daring Skyjek can't kill mill's Archaeomancer. I decided to put Syndic of Tithes into the deck . Here is the, for now, final list :

You won't live without gold and you have to deal with me !
Creatures:
4 Auramancer
3 Sunspire Griffin
2 Observant Alseid
4 Concordia Pegasus
4 Keening Apparition
4 Hopeful Eidolon
4 Syndic of Tithes

Spells:
4 Ethereal Armor
3 Smite
4 Gods Willing
4 Pacifism

Lands:
20 Plains

I changed my mind about Observant Alseid. He can be usefull. Now I would like to write about sideboard. It is mostly prepared against mill deck:

Sideboard
4 Razortip Whip
4 Eyes in the Skies
4 Beckon Apparition
3 Celestial Flare

I put in Razortip Whip, Eyes in the Skies and Beckon Apparition. I took out 4 Ethereal Armor, 4 Pacifism, 3 Smite and 1 Gods Willing. Celestial Flares are good removal against hexproof decks, but you need have some luck to catch Gladecover Scout, not impossible. I remove 3 Syndic of Tithes to put in 3 Celestial Flare.

How to win versus RDW? Cast Pacifism on the first creature he puts into the game, then wait for a moment when he will be fully tapped and cast Hopeful Eidolon enchanted by Ethereal Armor. Gods Willing and you almost can't lose. Enchantress decks are very similar to White Weenie, many times my creatures are more and faster enchanted than opponents creatures. Playing against Boros, you need handle Madcap Skills, then victory is not so difficult. There are 12 cards against mill, so winning with it is possible. Returned Centaur appeared in mill sideboard. That can be a problem. He can stop White Weenie's offensive. Mono Black is the worst matchup. I did not test it a lot, yet.

I think that White Weenie is good aggro deck. One event I almost got heart attack losing all first games, but it showed that it is balanced and can withstand a long time and after that win the game. Some cards are missing. Observant Alseid is not bad, but can be better and Syndic of Tithes can be replaced with something. Lets wait for next card set, I'm sure White Weenie will find some good cards in it.

Happy playing,
BigBee

3 comments:

  1. Requires a lot of playtesting experience to make it a challenger, good work Bigbee !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noes, not more White Weenies :-)

    I guess this style will always be around and possibly be viable. Cool work trying to discover this seasons style of White Weenie!

    I feel like Celestial Flare is a batter main deck choice than Smite. Also, if using Etheral Armor, Eidolon, and God's Willing, the Wingsteed Rider might be more aggressive than Sunspire Griffin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top 4 again for PMDC 23.07, congrats !! So what are your thoughts after giving Wingsteed Rider a go this week??

    ReplyDelete